Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers
If you have been injured as the result of the negligence of a property owner or manager, you may have a premises liability case. In this type of claim, an injured person holds the negligent party liable for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and other expenses. Based in Denver, Colorado, the premises liability lawyers at McDermott Law, LLC are experienced in slip and fall accidents. We can represent you with integrity and dedication after you have suffered an injury because of the negligence of another person.
- Grounds for a Slip and Fall Claim
- What to Do after a Slip and Fall Accident
- Property Owners’ Responsibilities
Premises liability accidents, commonly known as slip and fall accidents, are claims brought against a negligent property owner for injuries sustained by a person in a slip and fall accident that occurred on the owner’s property. Though many slip and fall accidents happen at business locations such as gas stations, supermarkets, and shopping malls, they can also occur on private property.
Examples of premises liability accidents include:
- While shopping at the grocery store, you slip in a puddle of water that was left on the floor. No signs were present to warn you of the wet floor.
- While visiting a friend’s apartment building, you sustain a traumatic brain injury after losing your step on a badly lighted stairwell.
Slip and fall lawsuits can be complicated because you must show that the property owner’s negligence caused your injury. To prove negligence, it must be determined that the owner knew that there was a dangerous condition on the premises. You may also have a claim against a property owner for any injury you suffer as a result of his or her failure to provide adequate security on the premises.
After a slip and fall accident, make sure to do the following:
- Do not leave the scene of the accident until the owner or manager of the property has completed an accident report and given you a copy.
- If you have a camera, take photographs of the hazard that caused the injury.
- Collect contact information from any witnesses, including their names and phone numbers.
- Undergo a medical examination as soon as possible, even if you do not have any noticeable injuries.
- Contact experienced premises liability lawyer Shawn McDermott. Contacting Shawn soon after the accident will help him reconstruct the facts of the accident, guide you through the regulations that govern such cases, and build a solid case to help you win the compensation you deserve.
Property owners and managers are required to maintain their property to ensure that it is safe for all occupants and visitors, thus minimizing the chance of slip and fall accidents. This includes anticipating certain hazards and trying to safeguard against them by keeping walkways well-lit, installing working locks on all doors, and so on. If a property owner does not provide a safe environment free of hazards, and a slip and fall accident occurs, the accident victim may file a premises liability claim for accident-related damages.
Starting a Premises Liability Claim
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident, please contact the Denver slip and fall accident lawyers at McDermott Law, LLC. Located in Denver, Colorado, our experienced Denver personal injury lawyers have helped many victims of slip and fall accidents. We will give you an honest assessment of your case and provide determined representation.