Disability Insurance Awareness Month (“DIAM”) is a campaign started and sponsored by the nonprofit organization Life Happens. The first goal of the campaign is to encourage people to take the time to consider the reality of missing work for any period of time, and to understand that it happens more than any of us would like to think.
The second goal is to help people identify the steps to insure themselves against this possibility.
5 Facts for Disability Insurance Awareness Month
- More than one in four of today’s 20-year-olds can expect to be out of work for at least a year because of a disabling condition before they can reach the normal retirement age.
- At least 51 million working adults in the Unites States are without disability insurance other than the basic coverage available through Social Security.
- Only 48 percent of American adults indicate they have enough savings to cover three months of living expenses in the event they’re not earning any income.
- Almost half of American adults indicate they can’t pay an unexpected $400 bill without having to take out a loan or sell something to do so.
- 5.6 percent of working Americans will experience a short-term disability (six months or less) due to illness, injury, or pregnancy on average every year.
The Most Common Reasons for Short Term Disability Claims
- Pregnancies (25%);
- Musculoskeletal disorders affecting the back and spine, knees, hips, shoulders, and other parts of the body (20%);
- Digestive disorders, such as hernia and gastritis (7.8%);
- Mental health issues including depression and anxiety (7.7%);
- Injuries such as fractures, sprains, and strains of muscles and ligaments (7.5%).
The Most Common Reasons for Long-Term Disability Claims
- Musculoskeletal disorders (29%);
- Cancer (15%);
- Pregnancy (9.4%);
- Mental health issues (9.1%);
- Injuries such as fractures, sprains, and strains of muscles and ligaments (9%).
You Can Trust a Colorado Disability Insurance Lawyer at McDermott Law, LLC
Has your disability insurance claim been denied or terminated? If so, you can turn to the legal team at McDermott Law, LLC for experience in standing up to insurers and help in obtaining the benefits you likely deserve. Our dedicated and experienced attorneys have a record of success when it comes to helping people:
- Navigate the complexities of the claims process;
- Fight denied insurance claims;
- Stand up to insurers;
- Secure the full amount of benefits to which they are entitled.
To learn more about how the disability insurance attorneys at McDermott Law, LLC can help you, call us at (303) 964-1800 or email us using the contact form on this screen. From our office in Denver, we provide the highest quality legal services to disabled people through the state of Colorado, the surrounding states, and nationwide.